With winter season coming to a close, we see fields full of the much loved ‘Tambdi Bhaji’ (red Amaranth vegetable) everywhere in Goa. This red leafy vegetable is full of minerals, irons & vitamins, beneficial to the human body. Despite, being a hard core non-vegetarian, I love it and have it almost everday at lunch. So I decided to transform the vegetable into a gourmet dish with a catchy Goan name. Try it out & see for your self!!
Goincho Kombo (Chicken)
Tambdi bhaji – 100gm
Spring onions – 2no.
Onion (chopped) – 1no.
Garlic paste 1/2 tsp
Chicken breast – 1/2 no.
Oil – 4tbsp
White wine 40ml
Maida – 1tsp
Salt & Pepper – to taste
- Wash the tambdi bhaji & spring onion & chop fine. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil. Add in the chopped onion & sauté till light brown. Add in the chopped tambdi bhaji & spring onion, season with salt & pepper. Once cooked, leave aside to cool.
- With a sharp knife, slit the piece of chicken breast into a butterfly. Add some of the tambdi bhaji stuffing at one corner & roll tight. Truss the breast With cotton string so it doesn’t open. Marinate for 5 min with salt, pepper & some cooking oil.
- Sear the breast in a heated pan with some oil. Keep turning so the piece of chicken cooks evenly. But do not let it burn. After about 10 min, take the breast off the flame & on to a chopping board. Remove the string & slice.
- In the same pan, add some onion & garlic paste. Sauté till light brown. Once you reach this stage, deglaze the pan with the white wine. Once the alcohol has evaporated, add in the maida & give it a good mix. Add 3/4 of a cup of water & keep mixing so that no lumps are formed. Season with salt & pepper.
- Plate the chicken with salad leaves of your choice and the sauce. Enjoy!!