This week, a new take on using the delicious ‘Avocado’. First thing that comes to mind in Goa on hearing avocado is the delicious shake. Did you know there are so many other ways of using the fruit? So, something out of the box, what I have not made in a while, A cold avocado soup, with some crab salad. Since this is a cold soup, there is absolutely no cooking involved what so ever. Have a go, and let me know what you think!!
For the Soup
Avocado, peeled and pitted – 1no.
Garlic clove – 1no.
Buttermilk – 50ml
Milk – 1cup
Salt – to taste
Freshly ground black pepper – ½ tsp
Fresh coriander – for garnish
For the crab meat salad
Lime juice – ½ lime
Dijon mustard – ½ tsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Ground black pepper – ½ tsp
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Capers chopped – 5no.
Pink peppercorns, ground – 5no.
Crab sticks – 2no.
Chopped Avocado – 2 tbsp
1. Wash all your ingredients before you start. Make sure your avocado is evenly ripe.
2. To make the soup, puree the avocados and garlic in a food processor until smooth. Place in a bowl and whisk in the buttermilk and milk until you get the desired consistency you like. Add salt and pepper and chill in a refrigerator for about an hour.
3. To make the crab meat salad, combine the lime juice, mustard and salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk in the olive oil. Stir in the capers and peppercorns. Add the crab meat and the chopped avocado and toss. Adjust the seasoning and chill it too.
4. For the plating, I have used a 2” ring cutter. Place it in the centre of your soup plate. Spoon in your crab salad, pressing it down lightly.
5. Ladle or pour in the soup and garnish with coriander leaves.