A popular local snack & meal around the Middle East, Falafel is a round cutlet made from chickpeas , served best in a pita bread with some salad, hummus & tahini. You will be surprised with how simple & easy this delicious dish is to make with ingredients readily available in your kitchen.
Dry chickpeas – 300gms
Onion roughly chopped – 1no.
Chopped parsley – ¼ cup
Garlic cloves – 5no.
Flour – 1tbsp
Salt – 2tsp
Cumin powder – 2tsp
Coriander chopped – 2tbsp
Black pepper – 1/4 tsp
Vegetable oil – for frying
1) Begin a little differently this week. Soak the chickpeas overnight in water. Make sure the water covers the peas 3 times over as the chickpeas will absorb the water & swell double in size.
2) Collect all your ingredients before you begin. Chop the onion, garlic, parsley & keep aside.
3) Strain the excess water from the chickpeas & using a blender, pulse it to give you a coarse chopped texture. Remove in a bowl.
4) Mix all the ingredients together & form into patties. Heat the oil in a pan & fry till golden brown in colour.
5) Serve with tahini sauce or Hummus!!