Summer, is when the Goan local markets are exploding with aromas of fresh local fruits and berries, Jackfruit being the most intense of them all. I haven’t come across much contemporary dishes using a ripe jackfruit so here’s a simple recipe of a delicious tea time cake
Eggs 3 no.
Soda-bi-carbonate ¼ teaspoon
Baking powder ¼ teaspoon
Vanilla essence ½ teaspoon
Cashew nut 30gm
For the frosting:
Egg white 1 no.
Vanilla essence ½ tsp
Castor Sugar 1 cup
- Begin by first collecting your mise en place. This will help you organize & work better.
- Sieve the flour with soda-bi-carbonate and baking powder. Cream the butter, margarine and sugar together till light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs with vanilla essence. Continue whisking for a minute more or till the eggs have mixed with the butter. Fold in the flour and mix lightly, add in the mashed jackfruit. Add in the chopped cashew nuts and walnuts. Pour the batter into a greased cake tin & bake at 190 C for 30 minutes. Once done remove & cool.
- For the frosting, to a large bowl combine the egg whites and vanilla essence & beat until frothy. Add castor sugar gradually and until sugar is incorporated and mixture is shiny, approximately 5 to 7 minute.
- Once the cake is cool, spread the frosting evenly over the cake & top with juliennes of jackfruit.. Enjoy!!