One of my fondest childhood memories growing up in in the beautiful villages of Goa, was squabling over the prized heart of a freshly fallen coconut tree known as ‘Kuwalo’ in Konkani. With a subtle flavour of coconut & texture of tender baby bamboo, ‘Kuwalo’ can uplift a fresh raw salad to a whole new level.
Kuwalo (coconut heart) – 100gm
Cherry tomatoes – 10no.
Purple cabbage – 10gm
Spring onion – 2tbsp
Rocket lettuce – 10 leaves
For the dressing:
Vinegar – 25ml
Dijon mustard – ¼ tsp
Salt & pepper – to taste
Olive oil – 50ml
- Begin the recipe by collecting all your ingredients. This is called ‘Mise en place’
- Wash all the vegetables under cool running water. Peel the cabbage, cut into 4 pieces & remove the center stem. Slice into fine strands. This type of cut of vegetable is called ‘chiffonade’
- Chop the leaves of the spring onions, slice the cherry tomatoes into two, slice the Kuwalo & break the stems off the rocket lettuce.
- Whisk together all the ingredients of the dressing to make a simple french vinaigrette.
- Toss the vegetables together & drizzle the salad dressing over. Voila.. your done!!