Eggplants – 1 no. (large)
Eggs – 1 no.
Flour – 1/2 Cup
Olive oil – For frying
Fresh Mozzarella cheese – ½ no.
Parmesan Cheese – 3 table spoons
Basil – 8 large leaves
Salt & Pepper – To taste
Olive Oil – 3 tbsp
Onion (chopped) – 1 no.
Garlic Cloves (minced) – 3no.
Tomatoes (skinned, seeded & chopped) – 2 Cups
Salt & Pepper- To taste
Basil (chopped) – 3 tsp
Fresh Parsley – Few sprigs
Basil leaves – Few sprigs
Parmesan Cheese – 2 tbsp
1) Prepare your mise-en-place (this includes processing all the ingredients & keeping it ready for use).
2) Pat the eggplant slices dry. Dust them in seasoned flour & dip each slice in beaten egg. Shallow fry in a pan with olive oil till 80% cooked. Remove & cool. Once cooled, roll each slice stuffed with a slice of mozzarella cheese with a basil leaf & a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
3) In a shallow pan, add in the olive oil, garlic & chopped onion. Sauté till onions are translucent. Add in the chopped tomatoes & cook for about 20 min till the tomatoes are cooked occasionally adding water if the mix gets too dry. Finally add in the chopped basil & switch off the heat.
4) Now for the baking. Add a layer of the tomato sauce to the bottom of your pan. Arrange the eggplant rolls in a line followed with another layer of tomato sauce on the top. Bake in a pree heated oven at 190*c for about 8 min or till cheese has melted.
5) Plate the eggplant on some tomato sauce, sprinkle with parmesan cheese & garnish. Serve hot!!