Today being ‘Ash Wednesday’, the first day of lent, Christians all around the world practice abstainance in to prepare themselves for Easter. Since I know a lot of people who turn vegetarian for these forty days, I thought of protein substitutes with simple recipes and complex flavors
Tofu – 100gm
Ginger – ½ inch
Kikoman soy sauce – 50ml
Bell peppers – 20gm
Porcini mushrooms – 1no.
Spring onion – 1tsp
Olive oil – 1tbsp
- Collect all your ingredients before you start. This is called ‘mise en place’.
- Grate the ginger to a paste & add in the soy. Give it a quick stir & marinade the tofu for about 10 min. in the ginger & soy sauce.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan & place over a medium flame. Once the pan is hot, gently sear the tofu on all sides giving each piece a bit of a crisp crust. Add a spoon of the soy & ginger sauce to the tofu to release a smoky flavor. Once done, remove the tofu & leave to rest for a minute.
- Thinly slice the mushroom & bell peppers. To the same pan, add in the cut vegetables & sauté for a minute on high heat. This will cook the vegetables from outside & leave it crisp.
- Finally assemble the dish starting with the sautéed mushrooms, followed by the tofu & bell peppers. Spoon a bit of the soy & ginger, finally garnish with the chopped spring onions.