This popular Greek dip, makes a very nice condiment for gyros or kebabs and is also served alongside numerous meat delicacies such as pork & lamb. Made from thick Greek yogurt, it’s a perfect dip with pita bread triangles and even with our local poi!!
Greek yogurt (hung curd) – ½ cup
Cucumber – 2no.
Garlic – 6 cloves
Dill – 2tbsp
Lemon juice ½ no.
Cumin powder – 1tsp
Salt & crushed pepper – to taste
1) Collect all the ingredients before you begin. This is called Mise en place. Chop the garlic & dill & leave aside.
2) Peel & deseed the cucumber.
3) Grate the cucumber & add some salt to it & let it rest for 5 min. the cucumber will start to wilt, so squeeze out the extra water & add it to a mixing bowl.
4) To the same bowl as the cucumber, add in the yogurt, chopped garlic, chopped dill, lemon juice, cumin powder, salt & pepper. Give it a good mix & check the seasoning.
5) Serve it cold with a drizzle of olive oil & flat bread. I did it with our local poi which I toasted a bit.. Enjoy!!