Goans have already started feeling the summer heat. Due to high level of humidity, I have even started losing my appetite. So I decided to show you a simple yet lighter food option this week.
Made from rice and locally grown crunchy vegetables, my take on Vietnamese summer roll is surely healthy & cooling. Enjoy!!
For the peanut sauce
Peanut Butter – 2tbsp
White Vinegar – 2tbsp
Soy Sauce (Kikoman) – 1tbsp
Sugar – 2tsp
Chilli flakes – ½tsp
Water – 2tbsp
For the noodle filling
Rice vermicelli – 40gm
Sesame oil – 1tsp
Chilli flakes – a pinch
For the vegetable filling
Cucumber – 1/3 seeded and julienned
Carrot – ½ grated
Red bell pepper – ½ cut into julienne
Onion – ½ sliced
For the vegetable dressing
White Vinegar – ½tbsp.
Sugar – 1tsp
Fish sauce – 1tsp
Lime juice – ½ no.
For the roll
Rice spring roll sheets – 4 no.
Coriander leaves (chopped) – 2tsp
Mint leaves – 20no.
1) Wash all the vegetables & cut into required shapes and leave aside. Once cut, in a clean bowl, mix together the vinegar, sugar, fish sauce & lime juice to make the vegetable dressing. Mix in the vegetables & leave aside.
2) In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the peanut sauce. Give it a good mix & leave aside.
3) In a large bowl, soak the rice vermicelli in plain cool water for about 5 min or till soft. Once done, strain the vermicelli & mix together with a pinch of chilli flakes & sesame oil.
4) Time to assemble!! Take one rice spring roll sheet at a time. Soak it in water for about 30 seconds, remove excess water & spread on a wooden board. Add some of the rice noodle mix & top with some salad. Finally add in a few leaves of mint & coriander. Bring the sides inwards & roll to form tight spring rolls.
5) Cut each spring roll diagonally & serve with the peanut sauce!!